The acai bowl is having a moment. About six months ago I tried my first acai bowl and never looked back. My favorite bowl in the city is from Juice Generation, they have a variety of recipes from Protein Revolution to Amazing Green. As much as I loved these bowls, they run anywhere from $8 to $10 in the city, so I finally decided to make one for myself. I pulled a few recipes from Pinterest, grabbed some fresh fruit and the frozen acai berry blend from Sambazon and tried out a few recipes.
The Perfect Acai Bowl
- 1 (100g) packet frozen acai berry blend (I used the unsweetened version from Sambazon)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- ¼ cup of Coconut Milk (I used dairy-free, unsweetened version from So Delcious)
- teaspoon of honey optional
- Fresh berries/coconut/chai seeds, banana to top
- Run the Acai packet under warm water for about 10 seconds to help thaw and loosen the pulp.
- Place packets, banana, berries and half coconut milk in blender. Blend for 30 seconds and check the consistency. Add the remaining coconut milk.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and top with berries, chia seeds, coconut flakes, etc.
This is the recipe I used in the photos, but there are several different ways to make an acai bowl. From beginning to end, it only takes about 10 minutes to prepare, so it’s an easy recipe to incorporate into your busy morning. Is anyone else loving acai bowls right now? If so, share your favorite combinations. Love trying new recipes!
Photos by Lydia Hudgens