Finding the perfect dress to wear to work can sometimes be difficult, it needs to be long enough, not too tight and look good with a blazer (for meetings). With all those prerequisites, you can imagine wearing a dress to work doesn’t happen that often for most women. So when I found this dress at Ann Taylor, I was delighted! The length was perfect, it goes great with my grey blazer and it’s has beautiful jeweled details on the collar.
Here are a few tips for buying a dress for work
1. Length– I still follow the rule I learned in elementary school, “skirts no shorter than one inch above your knee”. However, depending on your workplace and height, I’d say 1-2 inches above the knee is safe!
2. The Fit– make sure the dress isn’t too fitted, try and stay away from cotton-stretch material. Some great material is silk or polyester blends.
3. Sleeves– stay away from sleeveless dresses, unless you plan on wearing a cardigan or blazer, a cap sleeve or some marital around the sleeve are good option.
4. Versatility- find a dress that you can wear with a blazer or cardigan. You’ll get bored quickly if you’re always wearing the same dress the same way at work.
5. Color/Pattern– this goes along with versatility, invest in a dress that can be worn to several different events. I’d wear this dress to church, graduation event, or a dinner out. You can do this by buying a solid color dress or a dress with subtle pattern.